Who are FACT rebels of Chad?
The Libya based rebels that are currently attacking Chad are called FACT. FACT is Front for Change and Concord in Chad. On April 20, 2021, the President of Chad Idriss Deby died of injuries after fighting against these rebels.
- FACT was formed in 2016.
- A group of rebels split from the UFDD after a violent clash and formed FACT. UFDD is Union of Forces for Democracy and Development. UFDD is the largest group of Chadian rebel forces that operated against the former President Idriss Deby. The leader of UFDD is Mahamat Nouri.
- FACT is run by Mahdi Ali Mahamat. He spent some time in exile in France and returned to Libya in 2015.
- The founder of FACT is Jerome Tubiana.
- The group has been fighting to overthrow Deby from power. According to them, Deby’s victory in the elections held in 2016 and 2021 was fraudulent.
- FACT has deployed more than 400-450 vehicles into Chad that carried thousands of fighters.
He came to power in 1990 through an armed uprising. Deby ruled Chad fighting against the Islamist militants in the region. Chad is one of the most stable countries in the region. The region is surrounded by Libya, Central African Republic and Sudan where the armed forces roam around freely.
Chad has been facing violent power struggle since its independence from France in 1960.
A military council led by Deby’s son is to govern Chad for the next 18 months. Mahamat Idriss Deby is to lead the council till the elections are held.
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|