Revised draft of Electricity (Amendment) bill, 2020 launched
The Ministry of Power has made changes to the Electricity (Amendment) bill, 2020. This is being done to promote electricity generation from renewable sources.
Key Features of the bill
- Electricity Contract enforcement Authority is to be created
- Launch of National Renewable Energy Policy
- Payment security has been made necessary to schedule distribution of electricity and also to facilitate cross border trade.
- Privatization of discoms using franchises and sub-licenses
- Power Tarrif is to be determined without subsidy
- The appellate tribunal of electricity is to have similar powers as that of civil courts
The privatization of discoms has been suggested. This is being done as according to Power ministry, discoms are losing Rs 22,000 crores of revenue annually. The bill proposes that all State Energy Research Centre are to specify a trajectory for renewable energy. This will include hydro power obligation as well. This comes as the Central Government recently recognized hydropower as renewable power.
Category: Legal & Constitution Current Affairs