Karnataka to set up a Flower Processing Centre
The Horticulture Department of Karnataka will set up a flower processing centre in collaboration with the International Flower Auction Bangalore (IFAB). The centre will be set up in order to convert the unsold flowers into its useful products.
- The flower processing centre will process the flowers and convert them into value-added products like floral arts, natural dyes, incense sticks, floral papers, floral embedded works, flower petal powder for cosmetic usage and silica-stored flowers.
- This flower processing facility was needed because flower farmers are suffering with huge losses whenever there is market disruption.
- Thus, with the establishment of this facility, the farmers can learn the art of flower processing from the centre.
- This unit will be used to process all kinds of flowers.
Biodiversity in Karnataka
- Karnataka comprises of rich diversity of flora and fauna. The total recorded forest area of the state is 38,720 km2. It accounts for 20.19% of the total geographical area of State.
- The forest is home to 25% of elephant population and 10% of tiger population of India.
- Western Ghats which is a biodiversity hotspot includes the region of western Karnataka.
- Talacauvery and Kudremukh are two clusters of western ghats in Karnataka finds its place in the tentative list of World Heritage Sites of UNESCO.
- Indian roller is the state bird and Indian elephant is the state animal.
- Sandalwood is the state tree of Karnataka.
Flower Production in Karnataka
Lotus is the state flower of Karnataka. Karnataka is the leading state in floriculture. It accounts for 75% of total flower production in India. The state has highest area under modern cut flowers and it comprises of 40 flowers growing and exporting units. The state also has India’s first and only flower auction centre. It has 18,000 hectares of land under flower cultivation. It accounts for 14% of total area under flower cultivation in India.
Category: States Current Affairs