India-Syria: India Gifted 2000 Metric Tonnes of Rice to Syria
The Indian government has gifted 2000 metric tonnes of rice to Syria in a bid to strengthen the food security with the middle east countries.
- A statement from the Ministry of External Affairs highlights that the first consignment of 1000 metric tonnes of rice has been handed over to Syria.
- The consignment was handed over by Hifzur Rahman who is India’s ambassador to Syria.
- From the Syrian side, the consignment was received by Hussain Makhlouf who is the Minister of local administration and head of the Supreme Relief Committee.
- The ministry further stated that, consignment of 1000 metric tonnes in remaining and it will reach Syria on February 18.
- India is providing the help to Syria following the request from the government of Syria for emergency humanitarian assistance.
The Ministry of external affairs stated that; India has always stood in solidarity with the people of Syria. The bilateral relation between both the countries continued through the development and capacity buildings project in Syria. It continued even during the internal conflicts in the country. India has provided understated grants to Syria in the recent times:
- India gifted 10 metric tonnes of medicines to Syria as a COVID assistance in July 2020.
- India had organised artificial limbs fitment camp in Damascus in January 2020. More than 500 Syrians had benefited from the camp. This camp was organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in partnership with Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti.
- Study in India initiative: During the academic years 2018-2019 and 2019-2020, scholarships were extended to around 1000 Syrian students in order for them to pursue the bachelors, masters, and post-doctoral programmes in the Indian universities.
- India is also establishing a NextGen Centre for Information Technology in Damascus. For this, the preparatory work has already started.
Category: International Current Affairs