India-Bahrain: JWG meeting in the field of Renewable Energy
The 1st meeting of the Joint Working Group between India and Kingdom of Bahrain in the field of Renewable Energy held virtually on February 4, 2021.
- The Bahraini delegation was held by H.E. Dr. Abdul Hussain bin Ali Mirza who is the President of Sustainable Energy Authority.
- E. Mr. Dinesh Dayanand Jagdale the Joint Secretary of the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy led the Indian delegation.
- The meeting was also attended by the H.E. Sh. Piyush Srivastava who is the Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Agenda of the meeting
- In the meeting, both sides underscored the importance of renewable energy in order to meet climate change goals.
- They also discussed the initiatives that the government has taken, progress that have been made and the future targets which are set by their respective governments.
- They also presented their views on the opportunities available in this sector.
- Both the sides decided upon sharing the experience, expertise and best practices with each other.
- They further agreed to forge the deeper engagement in capacity building.
- They also agreed to forge the focused cooperation between concerned agencies and the private sector of engaged in the renewable energy sector in both the nations
In the month of July, 2018, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between India and Bahrain. The MoU was signed in order to promote the bilateral cooperation in Renewable Energy.
India – Bahrain Relation
Both the countries share an excellent bilateral relation. The relation is characterized by the cordial political, economic and cultural aspects. The bilateral Trade and commercial exchanges between both the countries dates back to 5,000 years ago. The origin of the trade relation can be traced back to period of Dilmun Civilization in Bahrain to the Indus valley civilization era in India. Bahrain is home to around 350,000 Indian nationals that account for one third of the total population in Bahrain. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Bahrain in August 2019. This was the first ever visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Bahrain. Both the countries signed the 2 MOUs in the fields of Space, International Solar Alliance and the RuPay Card.
Category: International Current Affairs