Paperless Budget: Mobile app launched ahead of Budget 2021
The Finance Minister of India, Nirmala Sitharaman, has launched the “Union Budget Mobile App” ahead of the presentation of the Union Budget on February 1, 2021. The mobile app was launched for hassle-free access of Budget-related documents by Members of Parliament (MPs) and the public. The budget will completely be paperless for the first time after. This decision was taken in the light of ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
About Union Budget Mobile App
- The mobile app will provide access to 14 Union Budget documents that includes the Annual Financial Statement or the Budget, Demand for Grants (DG) and the Finance Bill.
- The interface of the app has been designed in a user-friendly manner.
- It comprises of the features like downloading, printing, search, zoom in and out, table of contents and external links.
- It is a bilingual app (English and Hindi).
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) has developed the app under the guidance of the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA).
Key Facts about Union Budget
- The term Union Budget has not been mentioned in the constitution. But the “Annual Financial Statement” is commonly known as Budget.
- This annual financial statement is prepared in accordance with Article 112 of the Constitution of India.
- Union Budget was announced at 5:00 pm until 1999 on last working day February. Since the Budget 1999, the change in timing to 11 am was made.
- In 2016, Narendra Modi shifted the date of Budget presentation to February, 1.
- In 2016, the Rail Budget was also merged with union budget.
- The printing of budget documents starts with the customary Halwa ceremony in which the Halwa is served by the Finance Minister.
- The tradition of carrying budget in a leather briefcase was also changed in July 2019 when the finance minister carried the budget in a Bahi-Khata.
National Informatics Centre (NIC)
NIC works under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). It provides infrastructure that support the delivery of IT services by the government and the delivery of initiatives under the Digital India Mission.