India attended BRICS Health Ministers Conference
India attended the 10th BRICS Health Ministers Conference virtually. Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Harsh Vardhan attended the meeting from the Indian side. While addressing the meeting, the minister highlighted the response strategy of India for COVID-19. He also highlighted the technological innovations by India to fight the pandemic like Aarogya Setu App, ITIHAS system, etc.
9th BRICS Health Ministers Conference was held in Curitiba, Brazil. STI Declaration, 2020 was adopted during the meet.
- The BRICS 2020 Summit is scheduled to be held virtually due to COVID-19 on November 17, 2020. Russia will be the host of this 12th edition of this summit. Originally, BRICS 2020 summit was to be held from July 21 to 23, 2020 in Saint Petersburg but was postponed due to pandemic.
- The first meeting of BRICS Sherpas was also held from February 11-13 in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- Russia also hosted the 5th BRICS Young Diplomats Forum in Kazan from October 21-24, 2020.
- Recently, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attended 1st BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) conference and also favored the expansion of the membership of New Development Bank.
- 11th BRICS summit was held at Itamaraty Palace, the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Brazil from November 13-14, 2019.
- The first BRICS meeting was held at Yekaterinburg, Russia on June 16, 2009. This meeting did not included South Africa as the country joined the group in 2010.
- The political dialogue between the BRICS countries actually began in New York in September 2006 with the meeting of foreign ministers from all the four nations.
BRICS is a group of 5 nations- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. It does not work as an organisation, it’s simply a group of nations working together to promote economic growth among the members, reduce potential risks in the international financial markets, work on cooperation in the areas of political and security, people-to-people exchange, etc. BRICS nations have also developed a development bank known as New Development Bank in 2014. It was formerly known as BRICS Development Bank.
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|