Human Freedom Index, 2020
The Human Freedom Index is published by the Cato Institute and Fraser Institute. It uses data from 2008 to 2018. According to the Index, there is decrease in personal freedom since 2008 globally. India ranked 111 in the Human Freedom Index, 2020. In 2019, India ranked 94th.
About Human Freedom Index
The Index uses 79 distinct indicators of personal and economic freedom. It covers size of the Government, rule of law, security and safety, civil society, size of government, property rights, expression, religion, freedom to trade internationally, etc.
The predecessor of Human Freedom Index was Index of Freedom in the World
About Human Freedom Index, 2020
- It basically ranks country based on economic, civil and personal freedom. India is ahead of China and Bangladesh in the Human Freedom Index. China and Bangladesh ranked 129 and 139 respectively. New Zealand, Switzerland and Hong Kong bagged the first three spots. However, rank of Hong Kong is expected to decline in the future due to aggressive interventions of China in the region.
- The scores of India in the Human Freedom Index were as follows:
- India scored 6.30 out of 10 in Personal freedom.
- India scored 6.56 out of 10 in Economic Freedom.
- India scored 6.43 out of 10 in Human Freedom.
- Syria ranked the last in the index due to war scenarios in the country.
Key Findings of the Report
- 15% of the world population live in the freest quartile of countries.
- 34% of the world population live in the bottom quartile of countries.
- The gap between highly free and less free countries is increasing since 2008.
- The internet freedom in India is declining. According to the report, India had most frequent internet shut downs excluding Jammu and Kashmir.
India ranked 142 in Press Freedom Index that was released in April 2020. According to Democracy Watchdog Freedom House Report, Internet Freedom in India declined for the third straight year in 2019-20.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|