February 10: World Pulses Day
The “World Pulses Day” is observed on February 10 every year since 2018. This day is dedicated to the importance of pulses. In the year 2021, the day was celebrated under the theme: “Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future.”
- On this occasion, big event was held virtually in New York.
- The event was held with main focus on raising the awareness and recognizing the contribution of pulses in maintaining the sustainable food systems and healthy diets.
- The day comes under the second goal of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal which is “Zero Hunger.”
- The day also includes the objectives of the United Nations Agenda 2030.
- The day is observed to urge the people to grow the pulses besides its consumption.
Why this day is observed?
Pulses are highly nutritious and it plays a very important part in making the diet healthy for humans. But there are sections of people who do not have access to pulses and there are some people who do not know the nutritional value and health benefits of the pulses. Thus, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations established and dedicated this day in the year 2018 with the aim of increasing the awareness as well as access to pulses.
How this day is celebrated?
On the occasion of the world pulses day, people are requested to consume and donate pulses. They are also asked to raise awareness around them. At many places, people organise the lunches or dinners with having pulses on the menu. Some people get involved in donating pulses to those who do not have access to pulses. On social media, the events which are organised on the day are shared with hashtags like #worldpulsesday, #LovePulses.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs