Expert panel under chairmanship of Sam Pitroda constituted to review functioning of Prasar Bharti
An Expert Committee has been set up by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has with the task of reviewing the institutional frame work of Prasar Bharati including its relationship with Government, its continuing role as a public broadcaster and steps needed to ensure technical up-gradation of the organization. The panel will be chaired by Sam Pitroda (Advisor to the Prime Minister of India on Public Information Infrastructure & Innovations).
What is the task assigned to the panel?
The terms of reference of the Committee are as follows:-
- Recommend steps to sustain, strengthen and amplify Prasar Bharati’s role as a Public Broadcaster with special reference to its relationship with Government in the emerging context.
- Review the status of implementation of the suggestions given by various committees that have undertaken study of Prasar Bharati, namely, the Sengupta committee, the Bakshi Committee and the Narayanamurthy committee and suggest a road map ahead for enhancing the reach and potential of Prasar Bharati.
- Recommend measures to digitize the archival material in the possession of Doordarshan (DD) and All India Radio (AIR) including material from Independence Movement era, and develop enabling infrastructure, in the form of data digitalization systems, data centers and networks etc.
- To suggest ways of using the new media to deliver digital content – both in broadcast mode (DTH) and in a demand-based mode (Free on social media like You-Tube, and on payment through IPTV).
- To suggest a road map for creating a network of domestic and overseas business partners for ensuring wider reach to a worldwide audience including creating an exclusive overseas service.