Exercise TROPEX-21: Key Highlights
The biennial Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise (TROPEX 21) which is the largest wargame of the Indian Navy was started in January 2021. The exercise is still underway and it will end in the third week of February 2021.
- The exercise is observing the participation of all operational units of Indian Navy such as submarines, ships and aircraft.
- The units of Indian Army, Indian Air Force and Coast Guard are also participating in the biennial exercise.
- The exercise is being held in the Indian Ocean Region and its adjunct waters.
- The exercise is being looked by the Naval Headquarters along with the participation of all three Commands of Indian Navy besides the Tri-Services Command.
Aim of the exercise
- The exercise is being held with the aim of testing the combat readiness of the Navy for the complex multi-dimensional scenario amid the tight geo strategic environment.
- It is also aimed at validating the Indian Navy’s offensive-defence capabilities.
- It seeks to safeguard the national interests in maritime domain so as to promote the stability and peace in Indian Ocean Region.
- The exercise seeks to Navy’s transition from peacetime to hostilities.
First Phase of the Exercise
In the first phase, exercise ‘Sea Vigil’ was conducted from January 12-13, 2021. The exercise was conducted with the aim of validating the coastal defence setup of India. The exercise was participated by the Indian Navy, Marine Police of 13 coastal States and Union Territories and the Coast Guard, besides the stakeholders in the maritime domain.
The Tri-Service joint amphibious exercise AMPHEX-21 was held after the exercise Sea Vigil. It was held in the Andaman and Nicobar from January 21-25, 2021. It was held with the aim of validating India’s capabilities so as to safeguard the territorial integrity of its Islands.
Weapon Workup Phase of TROPEX
This phase observed the multiple on-target ordnance deliveries such as torpedoes, missiles and rockets from frontline aircrafts, warships and submarines. It demonstrated the firepower of the Indian Navy.
Category: Defence Current Affairs