Agriculture Ministry sign MoU with Microsoft for farmer welfare
The Agricultural Ministry of India recently signed Memorandum of Understanding with Microsoft to implement a pilot project for farmer welfare.
About the Project
- The project will focus on technology boosted agriculture.
- It will provide smart agricultural techniques to the farmers especially during post-harvest season.
- The project is to be launched in hundred villages of six states.
- The six states selected for the project are Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Haryana and Andhra Pradesh.
- It will carry out various tasks for the betterment of farmers.
Microsoft Welfare Programmes in India
- In 2019, Microsoft India launched Project ReWeave to help handloom weavers. The project aims to revive handloom weaving ecosystem in India. An E-Commerce platform was launched under the project. It will help weavers to increase their income.
- Microsoft has partnered with AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) to empower educators and learners with future ready skills.
- It has joined with the National Skill Development Corporation to provide digital skills to more than one lakh underserved women in India. Under the programme, Microsoft will provide a series of live training sessions and help create opportunities for women and young girls.
Agriculture in India
- India ranks second in farm output in the world. More than 50% of workforce in India are employed in agriculture. They contribute 17% to 18% of GDP of India.
- India exports 38 billion USD worth agricultural products. This makes India the seventh largest agricultural exporter in the world.
- Though, the output of Indian agricultural sector is good, productivity is low. Agricultural Productivity is the ratio between agricultural output to input.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|