Current Affairs : September 3, 2011
New peacekeeping operation head appointed by the UN
- Herve Ladsous appointed new chief of United Nations peacekeeping operations.
- Ladsous replaces Alain Le Roy.
- Ladsous will be in charge of some 1,20,000 peacekeepers
- Ladsous will monitors more than $7-billion budget for missions in Haiti, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, many other parts around the world.
Significant changes in Kerala sex-ratio
- The sex ratio in Kerala where women outnumber men is declining fast in 0-6 age group.
In Kerala the total number of children is less than its elderly population.
- The number of children below 6 years has declined by almost 2% in Kerala, during the last 10 years
- As per Census 2011, there are only 959 girls for 1,000 boys up to the age of 6 which is contrary to what it was a decade ago.
- Boys are more in number compared to girls in the 10-14 age group.
- It noted sharp decline in the population growth rate state and it is negative in Pathanamthitta district. Kerala is witnessing this phenomenon for the first time.
- Large scale migration to other countries & preference for male child are being considered as its possible reasons
- Long life expectancy and declining birth rate can lead to negative population growth in Kerala similar to Europe or Japan
Kalyan K.Chaudhuri, Veteran Journalist & Former President of Indian Journalist’s Association, passed away
- Veteran journalist Kalyan K. Chaudhuri passed away
- Mr.Chaudhuri was a Special Correspondent for Frontline magazine
- He focused primarily on political developments in the eastern region.
- In 1988 he was president of the Indian Journalists’ Association.
Anil Kumar Chaudhary appointed as Director of Finance ,Steel Authority of India (SAIL)
- Steel Authority of India (SAIL) appointed Anil Kumar Chaudhary as its director, finance.
- Mr.Kumar succeeded Soiles Bhattacharya
- Priorto this he served as the Executive Director (Finance & Accounts) at SAIL’s Bokaro Steel Plant
- Dinesh Kumar Likhi who was SAIL’s general manager (Business Planning) appointed as director (Production & Marketing) of Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd which is also a public sector undertaking.
The above 5 questions are part of Daily Current Affairs 20 MCQs Series in GKToday Android Application. This series can be subscribed in the app only for Rs. 799/- for entire year. Download Now