Current Affairs: November 7, 2013
1. The “Rabaa sign” has recently become a symbol of protest against the military coup in __ ?
The “Rabaa sign” has become the symbol of protests against the military coup in Egypt and the center of the anti-coup protests, Rabaa al-Adawiya Square. Made by raising four fingers with thumb resting on the palm, the sign has come to represent civilian demonstrations protesting the ouster of Egypt’s first democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi and the ensuing violence that killed hundreds of people.
2. Typhoon Haiyan, world’s strongest storm of the year 2013 recently hit which one of the following countries?
The Haiyan, a category 5 strongest typhoon in the world this year and possibly the most powerful ever to hit land smashed into the Philippines, forcing more than a million people to flee, flooding villages and raising fears of widespread causalities.
3. The Kurubas are an ancient forest tribe indigenous to the __?
[A]Andaman and Nicobar islands
Kurubas are an ancient forest tribe indigenous to the Western Ghats.
4. Which of the following countries has recently lost its voting rights at UNESCO?
The United States has lost its voting rights at UNESCO after it missed a crucial deadline, two year after halting its due payments and protests the decision to make Palestine a member. The loss of the vote means the US cannot participate in funding decision for the agency, which may be best known for its program to protect the cultures f the world via its Heritage sites.
5. The “Chhath” is the most important Hindu festival of Bihar. It is the only Vedic festival dedicated to Hindu god ___?
Chhath is an ancient Hindu festival and only Vedic festival dedicated to the Hindu Sun god, Surya. The Chhath puja is performed in order to thank Surya for sustaining life on earth and to request the granting of certain wishes. The rituals of the festival are rigorous and are observed over a period of four days.
6. The “Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project” in Madhya Pradesh has been commissioning by which of the following companies?
[D]HBL Power system
Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP) is an upcoming 3,960 MW pit-head-coal based power plant in Madhya Pradesh commissioning by Reliance Power. This project is the first domestic coal-based UMPP awarded in the country by the Government of India.
7. Which of the following countries will host 2018 Men’s and Women’s Hockey World cup, respectively?
[A]England and India
[B]India and Australia
[C]India and England
[D]Australia and Russia
India and England
India has been awarded the 2018 men’s hockey world cup, the second time in a span of eight years the country will be hosting the event having successfully organised the previous edition three years ago. The 2018 women’s world cup will be held in England.
8. The “Courage and Conviction” is the autobiography of ____?
[A]V K Singh
V K Singh
The “Courage and Conviction” is the autobiography of Ex-Army Chief V K Singh.
9. With which of the following Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, India has signed BIPA treaty?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 3
[B]Only 1, 2, 3 & 4
[C]Only 2, 3 & 5
[D]1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Only 1, 2, 3 & 4
India has so far signed Bilateral Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (BIPA) with 82 countries. India has BIPA treaty with Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Yemen, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia in the Gulf region since 1997.
10. The “Wakhan Corridor” separates which of the following countries?
[A]Afghanistan and Pakistan
[B]Pakistan and China
[C]Tajikistan and Pakistan
[D]Tajikistan and Afghanistan
Tajikistan and Pakistan
The Wakhan Corridor is a long, narrow strip which separates the Gorno-Badakhshan region of Tajikistan from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Gilgit-Balistan of Pakistan.