Current Affairs : December 5, 2011
Reliance to build India’s largest solar power unit at Jaisalmer
- India will have its largest solar power plant at Jaisalmer in Rajasthan in less than one year from now. The desert state has high levels of solar irradiation in the country. Reliance Power, a Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (ADAG) company, will build the 40 megawatt solar photovoltaic power plant with a 48 million dollar (Rs 250 crore) long-term loan from Asian Development Bank. The Project is expected to be completed by September 2012.
Akal Takht confers ‘Panth Rattan Fakhr-e-Quam’ title on Badal
- The Akal Takht bestowed “Panth Rattan Fakhr-e-Quam” title on Punjab Chief Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) patron Parkash Singh Badal in recognition of outstanding contribution and glorious services rendered by him during his long Panthic and political career.
Mumbai’s dabbawalas now want to be civic fathers
- The Mumbai’s legendary dabbawallas (lunch-box carriers) have now decided to join politics, starting with the forthcoming elections to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
Karvan-e-Aman weekly bus to PoK suspended due to Muharram
- The Karvan-e-Aman weekly bus service suspended on December 5, 2011 on account of Muharram, the month when grandson of Prophet Muhammad attained martyrdom in Karbala. The bus service operating between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
India to host ministers of Mekong-Ganga countries
- In a boost to its Look East policy, India will host the meeting of Mekong-Ganga Cooperation grouping that will bring together foreign ministers of Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia here later in December 2011 to explore ways to boost economic and cultural linkages in the region.
Renowned writer K.Thayyat dead at 84
- Renowned writer and Gandhian Kunhuanadhan Thayyat, alias K Thayyat (84), passed away. Thayat was bestowed upon Kerala Sahithya Nadaka Akademy s Award – 2003, Best National Teachers Award – 1976, Best State Teachers Award – 1975, Bombay Nadaka Vedi Award, Abu Dhabi Shakthi award, Calicut University Chair for Gandhian Studies Award, and other various awards in recognition of his works in the field of literature. He has written about 42 books and directed around 60 radio dramas which were broadcast on All India Radio (AIR).