Current Affairs April 21&22, 2019
In this post, GKToday presents Current Affairs of April 21&22, 2019 in Short Notes form for preparation of IBPS, Banking, CLAT, SSC, Railway, UPSC, IAS/PCS, UPPSC, BPSC, MPPSC, RPSC, TNPSC, MPSC, KPSC and all other competitive examinations of India.
1. The Chhyoiphel Kundeling Monastery has recently inaugurated by a Buddhist scholar Shyalpa Tenzing Rinpoche at Lisankhu village in Sindhupalchok district in Nepal. The Monastery has been reconstructed with Government of India (GoI) grant of 18.9 million Nepalese rupees. Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of India Dr. Ajay Kumar was also present on the occasion. In addition to reconstructing the monastery, the project also included building additional infrastructure such as residences, kitchen, sanitation facilities and compound wall. The Chhyoiphel Kundeling Monastery was established in 1946 with the active initiation and contribution of Lisankhu villagers. It has been carrying out various socio-cultural activities like teaching Buddhism,Thangka painting, wood carving and sculpting etc. Apart from being an important heritage building, the monastery is also an integral part of social and cultural life of people in the area.
2. Russia has recently dismissed the findings of the long-awaited report by US Special Counsel Robert Mueller and said that it failed to present any evidence of Russian meddling in the 2016 US elections. The report titled “Report on the Investigation into Russian Interference in the 2016 Presidential Election” details extensive contacts between Donald Trump's 2016 campaign and Russian operatives who, it said, sought to tilt the election in Trump's favor. It is the product of a 22-month investigation by Robert Mueller. He was appointed to probe Russian interference in the 2016 elections and possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. The 448-page report did not find evidence of a criminal conspiracy between Trump's 2016 election campaign and Russia.
3. Israeli President Reuven Rivlin has formally nominated Benjamin Netanyahu for a fourth consecutive term as prime minister and officially launched a process that is expected to result in a new government dominated by religious and nationalist parties in the coming weeks. Now, Netanyahu has 28 days to form a government, with a possible extension of a further two weeks. The results from the April 9 election put Netanyahu on course to become Israel's longest-serving prime minister later this year, surpassing the state's founding father David Ben-Gurion. If Netanyahu fails to form a coalition within 42 days, Benny Gantz (leader of the rival centrist Blue and White party) would be given a shot at assembling a government.
4. The Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Limited has been certified with ISO 31000:2018 by TUV India for applying a risk management system in line with the standard. The Certificate is an international risk management standard which provides guidelines, principles, framework, and a process for managing risk. It can be used by any organization regardless of its size, activity or sector. The application of these guidelines can be customized to any organization and its context. It is valid for a period of 3 years from April 07, 2019, to April 06, 2022.
5. On April 17, Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has partnered with M1Xchange Trade Receivables Discounting System (TReDS) platform for MSME bill discounting. TReDS is a digital platform to support Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to get their bills financed at a competitive rate through an auction where multiple registered financiers can participate. In addition to TReDS platform of Receivables Exchange of India Ltd (RXIL) & Invoicemart (A.TREDS Ltd), the bank has now on-boarded as financier on the TReDS platform of M1Xchange of Mynd Solutions. Mynd Solutions is a technology management firm which runs the TReDS platform of M1Xchange. The main purpose of TReDS platform is to facilitate smooth flow of liquidity in the system and make finance available at a competitive rate. The cost of funds will be reduced for MSMEs as banks will be bidding based on the risk rating of a corporate.
6. Cricket icon Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been appointed brand ambassador of bus ticketing platform ‘redBus’. Dhoni will appear in a hockey player avatar in his first cameo for the brand, slated to be launched soon. According to celebrity managers, Dhoni’s brand endorsement deals can be in the range of Rs 3-10 crore, depending on the size of the company he is associated with and the size and duration of the contract. Currently, the cricketer endorses an array of brands across categories, including fantasy sports firm Dream11, Colgate, MasterCard, Orient Fans, Bharat Matrimony, Indigo Paints, SRMB Steel, and health supplement brand Revital H among others.
7. Jerrie Cobb (88), NASA’s first female astronaut candidate, has passed away in Florida on March 18, 2019. In 1961, Cobb became the first woman to pass astronaut testing. Altogether, 13 women passed the arduous physical testing and became known as the Mercury 13. But NASA already had its Mercury 7 astronauts, all test pilots and men. None of the Mercury 13 ever reached space, despite Cobb's testimony in 1962 before a Congressional panel. She wrote in her 1997 autobiography ``Jerrie Cobb, Solo Pilot', ``My country, my culture, was not ready to allow a woman to fly in space”. Cobb also served for decades as a humanitarian aid pilot in the Amazon jungle.
8. NASA astronaut Christina Koch will set record for longest single spaceflight by a woman. Her mission on the International Space Station (ISS) has extended to 328 days. Koch arrived at the space station on 14th March 2019, and now is scheduled to remain in orbit until February 2020. With this, she will eclipse the record of 288 days set by former NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson in 2016-17. As part of the schedule changes two new astronauts, Andrew Morgan and Jessica Meir, will join Koch on the ISS later this year, their first space flights ever. Morgan will also stay at the ISS longer than originally planned, getting there in July and remaining there until mid-2020. By extending the space flights of Koch and Andrew Morgan, NASA will be able to gather more data on the changes to human cognitive and bodily functions to support its future missions to the Moon and Mars.
9. The National Civil Services Day (NCSD) is organized every year on April 21 in India by civil servants to rededicate themselves to the cause of citizen and renew their commitment to public service and excellence in work. This date is chosen to commemorate the day when the first Home Minister of Independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, addressed the probationers of Administrative Services Officers on April 21, 1947 at Metcalf House, Delhi. He referred to civil servants as the ‘steel frame of India.
10. IDBI Bank has launched the ‘NRI-Insta-Online’ account-opening process for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) residing in Financial Action Task Force (FATF) member countries. The person will not be required to furnish physical documents and KYC proofs for opening an account with the bank. NRIs will now be able to open account in IDBI Bank without submitting paper documents. FATF is an inter-governmental body which devices policy and sets standards to promote effective implementation of legal, regulatory and operational measures to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system. The body has 38 member countries, including the US, UK, India, Japan, China and France, among others.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Short Notes - 2019
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|