ARWU Ranking, 2020
The ARWU (Academic Ranking of World Universities) is also called Shanghai Ranking. Around fifteen Indian Universities have made it to the ARWU, 2020.
Indian Universities in ARWU Ranking, 2020
- The Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore has secured the top position among the higher education institutes in India.
- Calcutta University secured third position among the higher education institutes in India.
- The other top performing institutes that were included in the ranking were as follows:
- IIT Madras
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Kharagpur
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Anna University
- Bharathiar University
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Roorkee
- IISER (Indian Institute of Science and Education Research)
Though, the above institutes were included in the ranking, none of them were in the top 100 list. All the Indian institutes were placed in the category of 501-600.
The ARWU ranking is prepared by the Shanghai Ranking consultancy. It is an independent organisation that is dedicated to research on higher education, intelligence and consultation. The consultancy has been publishing the Academic Ranking of World Universities since 2009.
How are the universities ranked in ARWU ranking?
The ARWU ranking uses six indicators to rank the universities. They are as follows:
- Number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes
- Number of persons winning Field medals
- Number of published journals of science and nature
- Number of articles indexed in Social Sciences Citation Index
- Number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index
- Per Capita performance of the universities
More than 1800 universities are ranked every year.
Top performers of ARWU Ranking
The top performers of ARWU ranking are as follows:
- Harvard University topped the list.
- Stanford University occupied the second position.
- Cambridge University was ranked at third position.
- WITH (4th place)
- Berkeley (5th place)
- Princeton University (6th place)
- Columbia University (7th place)