Dr Rajendra Kishore Panda awarded 2020 Kuvempu Rashtriya Puraskar
Odia poet, Dr Rajendra Kishore Panda, has been awarded Kuvempu Rashtriya Puraskar 2020.
Name of Dr Panda was finalized by a three-member committee under the chairmanship of Prof. Hampa Nagarajaiah. Other members of the committee include Bengali author Shyamal Bhattacharya, Kannada poet Dr. H.S. Shivaprakash & Agrahara Krishnamurthy, former secretary of Central Sahitya Academy.
About Kuvempu Rashtriya Purashkar
- Kuvempu Rashtriya Purashkar was instituted in memory of late poet laureate Kuvempu.
- Award comprises of a cash award of Rs 5 lakh, a silver medal, and a citation.
- This award was instituted by Rashtrakavi Kuvempu Trust in 2013 to honor literateurs for their contribution in Indian languages recognized by Constitution of India under schedule eight.
- Award has been conferred to writers from Malayalam, Urdu, Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi and Kannada.
- They were awarded at programs organized in Kuppali, Shivamogga district. This district is the birthplace of Kuvempu.
- Award is usually conferred on December 29, but in 2020 it was delayed because of COVID-19 pandemic.
About Dr Rajendra Kishore Panda
He was born on June 24, 1944. He writes in Odia language. He has published 16 poetry collections and a novel. He is a major Indian poet who helped in reaching the path of modern Odia poetry to great heights. He was conferred with Gangadhar National Award in 2010, and Sahitya Akademi Award in 1985. He was also awarded a D. Litt degree by Sambalpur University in 2004. His first collection of poems was Gaun Devata (Minor Gods) that was published in 1947.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021