150th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore
A yearlong Joint Indo-Bangla Celebrations to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore concluded in New Delhi on May 7, 2012. Bangladesh held that it will celebrate the 100th year of Tagore getting the Nobel Prize for Gitanjali in 2013.
Rabindranath Tagore was born on 7 May 1861 in an old aristocratic family of nineteenth century Calcutta.
- The National Commemoration included projects, schemes and events undertaken by the Ministry of Culture directly or via its autonomous/associated organisations.
- A National Committee (NC) under the chairmanship of the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India Dr. Manmohan Singh was set up with the mandate to frame policies and lay down guidelines for the celebrations during 2010-2012.
- A National Implementation Committee (NIC), under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Finance Minister was constituted to finalise the programmes and events for the National Commemoration.
Some highlights of the National Commemoration are:
- Tagore Commemoration Grant Scheme (TCGS)
- Creation of new Tagore Centres and revitalising the existing centres
- Revamping of Multipurpose Cultural Complexes (MPCCs) scheme and replacing it with “Scheme for Tagore Cultural Complexes”.
- Instituting “Tagore Award for Promotion of Universal Brotherhood”.
- Publication of Tagore’s works and contributions.
What is Tagore Commemoration Grant Scheme (TCGS)?
- Tagore Commemoration Grant Scheme (TCGS) was launched by the Ministry of Culture to provide financial assistance to Not-For-Profit organisations for holding cultural programmes to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore.
- During the Commemoration, the Scheme assisted and supported all eligible not-for-profit organisations working for promotion of art and culture and Universities (including University’s Centres and Institutions but not University Departments, schools or colleges).
- The Central Government assistance limited to 75% of the estimated cost of a proposal/programme, with a ceiling of Rs. 5 lakhs.
- The Scheme was operational till May 2012.
Dedicated website launched by Ministry of Culture Govt of India:
- A dedicated website launched by Ministry of Culture Govt of India which provides details related to projects, schemes launched or planned so far and programmes or events envisaged as a part of the National Commemoration.
- Website on Rabindranath Tagore launched by Ministry of Culture Govt of India