MPEDA- NCDC MoU to promote Export-Oriented Marine Product
The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) and the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) have signed an MoU to promote the Export-Oriented Marine Product.
- The MoU was signed in order to synergise the programmes related to export-oriented capture and culture in fisheries sectors and other allied sectors.
- It was signed by the chairman of MPEDA, KS Srinivas and the managing director of NCDC, Sundeep Kumar Nayak.
- The MoU seeks to bring better value for the stakeholders through several activities including the export focus.
- Under the MoU both, MPEDA and NCDC, will formulate programmes to provide the technical know-how to cooperatives so as to up-scale the infrastructure created for the purpose of primary production.
- It will also provide support for the post-harvest management in marine products export sector.
- Under the MoU, MPEDA will share a list of all clusters across the States with NCDC. NCDC will then approach to the clusters in order to achieve the scale and aggregation with export orientation.
- They will also work in collaboration for capacity development of several stakeholders besides organising the awareness programmes and conducting workshops for stakeholders.
- Lastly, MPEDA & NCDC will work jointly to achieve export targets and the target of doubling the income of farmers.
National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC)
It is a statutory Corporation that was set up by an Act of Parliament in 1963. The corporation was set up with the objective of planning and promoting the programmes related to the production, processing, storage, marketing, export and import of the agricultural produce, industrial goods, foodstuffs, livestock and other notified commodities.
Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA)
This authority was established by the Marine Products Export Development Authority Act 1972. It is headquartered at Kochi. The role of the MPEDA ranges from covering fisheries of all kinds, increasing exports, specifying standards, marketing, extension and processing. It functions under the Department of Commerce.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs