Jal Jeevan Mission: Rs 5,968 crores released by the Centre
On May 17, 2021, the Union Government released Rs 5,968 crores of rupees to implement the Jal Jeevan Mission. The funds were released to fifteen states. This is the first instalment of the four to be released in 2021-22.
- Out of the total funds allocated under the Jal Jeevan Mission, 93% are to be utilized for developing water supply infrastructure, 2% in water quality monitoring and surveillance activities and 5% on support activities.
- The central funds were released based on the output of the scheme in the states. For this, the states were assessed in terms of tap water connections.
- In 2021, the GoI allocated Rs 50,011 crores to Jal Jeevan Mission in its budget.
- The Fifteenth Finance Commission had recommended Rs 26,940 crores for water and sanitation services.
- Thus, in all Rs 1 lakh crore will be invested in providing tap water supply to rural homes in 2021-22.
How will the funds help current condition?
- The funds allocated will help increase employment generation.
- It will also increase grey water treatment.
- It will improve drinking water infrastructure
- It will increase the demand for pipes, taps, faucets and motors. Thereby it will give a push to the manufacturing sector.
- It will help to maintain the in-village water supply.
- So far 4.17 crores of households have been provided with tap water supply in the country under the scheme.
- Around 7.41 crores of rural households are getting potable water.
- The states and union teritores such as Telangana, Goa, Puducherry and Andaman and Nicobar Islands have become “Har Ghar Jal” state.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|