International Day of Light: May 16
Every year, the International Day of Light is celebrated on May 16 by UNESCO and several other international organisations. The day celebrates the role of light in science, art, culture, education and sustainable development. This year, in 2021, the International Day of Light is celebrated under the following theme:
Theme: Trust Science
Why is International Day of Light celebrated on May 16?
Because the first successful operation of LASER was conducted on May 16, 1960 by physicist Theodore Maiman.
Goals of International Day of Light
- To improve public understanding in the importance of light-based technologies in day-to-day life
- To build activities that targets science for young people
- To highlight the link between light, art and culture
- To promote the importance of lighting technologies
- The radio waves and gamma rays provides insights into origin of universe. Also, the researches such as nano photonics and quantum optics inspire new fundamental discoveries.
- The photonics enabled industries are the major drivers of the economy.
- The photonics play a major role from providing improved vision to power of smart phones.
Impact on Economy
The photonic technologies have major impacts on world economy. This includes 600 billion Euros of market. The growth in photonics doubled between 2005 and 2011.
On one hand, the light technologies are growing at faster rate. On the other hand, they are of great disturbances especially to birds. Thus, the light technologies should be used very carefully making sustainable development. The light pollution has increased mainly due to urbanization.
The common light pollution are light trespass, over illumination, glare, light clutter. Light Clutter is excessive grouping of lights. Light trespass is unwanted light entering one’s property.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|