India’s launches indigenously built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant
India launched its first indigenously built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant which was a remarkable moment in the $5 billion project that seeks to enhance the country’s power and curtail the rising influence of China. INS Vikrant will come into full service in 2018 which will make India the fifth nation to have designed and built its own aircraft carrier going ahead of China to join an elite club that includes Britain, France, Russia and the United States.
- Vikrant, which means “courageous” or “bold” in Hindi, is a 40,000-tonne vessel which will carry Russian built MiG-29 fighter jets and other light aircraft.
- Its hull design and some of its machinery is domestically made and most of its weaponry will be imported as well as its propulsion system which was sourced from GE in the United States.
- Its primary role will only be to defend the naval fleet and it will not be used for ground attacks.
- It’s a defence carrier and will attack platforms that are coming to attack our naval fleet
- It will be positioned in the Indian Ocean region where the world’s commercial and economic interests conflate.
- In the next 4 years, the ship will be tested after fitting it with weaponry and machinery
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|