India-Canada: India to supply COVID-19 Vaccines to Canada
The Government of India had decided to supply the Coronavirus vaccines to Canada. This decision was taken by the Indian side following a personal request made by the Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau to Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. Trudeau has asked for support of India to Canada and assistance for Covid-19 vaccines in order to fight the pandemic. PM Modi has also assured the Canadian prime minister that, India will completely support the vaccination program in Canada.
- Final decision regarding the quantum of the supplies of the vaccines us yet to be taken.
- The supply of vaccines to Canada will be made soon following the official announcement.
- The quantities and delivery schedules of the vaccines will be finalized soon.
- After supplying the COVID-19 vaccines to many countries, India has now become a global leader to supply the Coronavirus vaccines.
- Till date, India has supplied vaccines to more than 20 countries as a humanitarian assistance as well as on the commercial basis.
- Canada has asked for the supply of the Coronavirus vaccines from the Serum Institute of India, Pune.
- However, India is of the view that the decision to supply the vaccines will be calibrated in accordance with the domestic production and requirement of the vaccines in India.
The relationship between India and Canada recently entered into crisis following the concerns raised by the Canadian Prime Minister over the ongoing farmers’ protest in India. The Ministry of External Affairs of India had termed the comments made by Canada as Unwarranted. However, the prime minister later changed his views and commended the Indian government to hold the dialogues with the farmers’ leaders.
Category: International Current Affairs