ARHMD System for Indian Army – Key Facts
The Indian Army is in process of acquiring niche technology by procuring quantity 556 Augmented Reality Head Mounted Display (ARHMD) System. The army will procure it under Make-II Category.
- The ARHMD System is seen as a capability enhancement for the Land Based Air Defence Weapon Systems.
- The land-based air defence weapon systems include ZU 23mm 2B AD Gun System and the IGLA shoulder fired Infra-Red Homing Air Defence Missile System. These systems will provide operator with radar and Thermal Imaging (TI) sight outputs.
- The proposed system seeks to enhance engagement capability during night.
- It will also enhance the conditions of inclement weather.
- The system will also be enhancing the day-time engagements through the increased reaction times, integration of output of TI sight and data computation for decision support.
- The vendor responses were evaluated after which Project Sanction Order (PSO) was issued on February 22, 2021 to six vendors to develop the prototype.
- The contract will finally be placed with one of the firms after they successfully develop the prototype in accordance with the provisions of Buy (Indian-IDDM) category of DAP 2020.
In the Defence procurement procedure, the provision of ‘Make’ category of capital acquisition is the key pillar of realising the visions of ‘Make in India’ initiative. This category fosters the indigenous capabilities by design & development of required defence equipment, product or systems by public as well as the private sector industry. ‘Make’ Procedure is divided into two sub-categories:
- Make-I– Projects under this sub-category involves the Government funding of 90%. The funding from the government is released in a phased manner. It is released as per the terms agreed between MoD and the vendor.
- Make-II– Projects under this sub-category involves the prototype development of equipment, system or platform. It also involves the upgradation of the equipment or system. For the development of prototype, no Government funding is provided.
Category: Defence Current Affairs