2nd edition of Khelo India Winter Games begins at J&K
The second edition of the Khelo India Winter Games began at Gulmarg in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir on February 26, 2021. This is a five-day event and will conclude on March 2, 2021.
- The event will observe the participation of athletes from across India.
- The Minister of State for Youth Affairs & Sports, Kiren Rijiju, reached Srinagar to attend the event.
- It will officially kick-start in the Ski resort of Gulmarg in Baramulla district of north Kashmir.
- It will be virtually inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The event will include the sports activities such as ice-skating, shoe race, skiing, ice-hockey, Nordic ski, snowboarding, ice stock and ski mountaineering.
- It is being organised by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in association with the Winter Games Association of Jammu & Kashmir and J&K Sports Council.
- The event will include several recreational games that will work as engaging activities for locals, tourists and visiting athletes.
- The games will commence with the cultural presentations and participation of various dignitaries and one thousand athletes.
Khelo India Winter Games
It is a national level multidisciplinary grassroot winter games in India. The winter events comprise of the snow rugby, snow skiing, snow ice stock, snow baseball, snow shoe, ice hockey, snow mountaineering, figure skating and speed skating. The Khelo India Winter Games was started in the year 2020 following the success of multiple editions of Khelo India Youth Games.
Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG)
It was formerly known as Khelo India School Games (KISG). This event is held annually in the month of January or February. It is a national level multidisciplinary grassroot games which is organised for two categories. The first category is under-17 years school students while the second category is under-21 college students. In this annual event, best 1000 kids are given the scholarship of ₹5 lakh for 8 years in order to prepare them for international sport events.