IIT Delhi develops Rapid Antigen Test Kit for COVID-19
Minister of State for Education, Shri Sanjay Dhotre, launched a Rapid Antigen Test kit for COVID-19. It was developed by IIT Delhi.
Rapid Antigen Test kit (RAT Kit)
RAT kit has been developed by IIT Delhi researchers led by Dr. Harpal Singh. He is a professor at Centre for Biomedical Engineering of IIT Delhi. kit has been developed entirely using internal resources at IIT Delhi. It has been named as SENSIT Rapid COVID-19 Ag Testing Kit. It exhibits 86% Sensitivity & 100% Specificity.
Salient features of RAT kit
- kit is used for in vitro qualitative detection of SARS-CoV-2 antigen.
- It is a colloidal gold enhanced double antibody which is sandwich immunoassay to perform qualitative determination of coronavirus antigen in human nasal swabs, throat swabs and deep sputum sample.
- This kit is suitable for general population screening and diagnosis of COVID-19 infection.
- This invention by IIT Delhi is directed towards an in vitro diagnostic kit for detection of SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus antigens in nasopharyngeal swab.
- It uses rapid immunochromatographic method.
- Virus is identified on the basis of monoclonal antibodies which is specific for Coronavirus antigen.
- Results obtained are qualitative based which can be inferred visually with naked eye.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021