GK & Current Affairs: July 2, 3, 2015
1. Who has won the 2014 G D Birla award for scientific research?[A]Ishfaq Ahmed[B]Sanjeev Galande[C]Rajat Gupta[D]Rajiv Shukla
Answer: Sanjeev Galande
Noted scientist Sanjeev Galande has been selected for the prestigious G D Birla award for 2014. He was selected for his pioneering research in the field of epigenetics and molecular cell biology. Galande is a professor at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) in Pune and is widely respected for his works in genomics and related areas. G D Birla award for scientific research was instituted by the K K Birla Foundation in 1991. It is given annually to an original and outstanding work undertaken by Indian scientists living and working in India. The award, which is given to those below the age of 50, carries a cash prize of Rs 2.5 lakh.
2. Mahendra Bhalla, who died recently, was a famous writer in which language? [A]Telugu[B]Hindi[C]Punjabi[D]Bengali
Mahendra Bhalla was a noted playwright and Hindi writer. He has written some memorable plays, including ‘Dimaag-e-hasti, Dil Ki Basti Hai Kahan, Hai Kahan’. He was conferred with Hindi Akademi Award, among several other honours.
3. Who has won the prestigious World Food Prize-2015?[A]Sir Fazle Hasan Abed[B]Kenneth Quinn[C]Mohammed Gauspir[D]Shekh Hasan Ali
Answer: Sir Fazle Hasan Abed
Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, the founding chairman of Brac, a leading rural development and anti-poverty organisation, based in Bangladesh, has won the 2015 World Food Prize. Sir Fazle Hasan Abed established Brac in 1972, which has since helped nearly 150 million people out of poverty. The US$ 250,000 World Food Prize has been awarded annually since 1987 to outstanding individuals who have made breakthrough achievements contributing to improving the quality, quantity or availability of food throughout the world.
4. Which state has launched Mhara Gaon- Jagmag Gaon, a new electricity scheme?[A]Punjab[B]Haryana[C]Maharashtra[D]Madhya Pradesh
Haryana government has launched Mhara Gaon-Jagmag Gaon, a new electricity scheme. ”Mhara gaon- jagmag gaon” which is an inclusive voluntary scheme aimed at providing 24-hour power supply to rural domestic consumers in a phased manner.
5. Which is the highest award given by the Sangeet Natak Academy?[A]Tagore Akademi Ratna[B]Akademi Ratna Sadasyata[C]Tagore Akademi Puraskar[D]Yuva Puraskar
Answer: Akademi Ratna Sadasyata
Akademi Ratna Sadasyata Award is the highest award given by the Sangeet Nataka Academy. The award was constituted in 1950. The recipients of Akademi Ratna Sadasyata for 2014 are Pandit Vijay Kichlu, renowned musicologist S.R. Janakiraman, filmmaker M.S. Sathyu and harmonium wizard Tulsidas Borekar.
6. Who has been named as the 2015 World Agriculture Prize laureate?[A]Amar Singh[B]R. Paul Singh[C]P B Katehi[D]Varun Singh
Answer: R. Paul Singh
Indian-American professor R. Paul Singh has been named as the 2015 Global Confederation for Higher Education Associations for Agriculture and Life Sciences World Agriculture Prize laureate. Singh is known for his research in areas such as energy conservation, freezing preservation, post-harvest technology and mass transfer in food processing. The Prize was proposed by Nanjing Agricultural University (NAU) on 20 October 2012 on the occasion of the 110th anniversary of Nanjing Agricultural University and was established by the GCHERA Board on 28 October 2012. The Prize aims to encourage the global development of the mission of higher education institutions in education, research and innovation in the agricultural and life sciences by recognizing the distinguished contribution of an individual to this mission.
7. World Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) day is observed on ___?[A]June 30[B]July 1[C]July 2[D]July 3
Answer: July 2
July 2 is celebrated as World Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) day with an objective to raise awareness, encouraging the government to reveal their files on UFO sightings and related information.
8. As per Socio Economic and Caste Census 2011, which state has highest number of households with a mobile phone?[A]Maharashtra[B]Tamil Nadu[C]Uttar Pradesh[D]Karnataka
Answer: Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh has highest number of households with a mobile phone (86.63 per cent). In other hand Odisha (33.56 per cent) has the least number of households with a mobile phone as per the Socio Economic and Caste Census 2011. For instance, while 80 per cent of households in north India (Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana) have mobile phones, the number for east India is 62 per cent; 63 per cent for west India; 75 per cent for south India, 70 per cent for central India; and 63 per cent for north-east India.
9. Which media organisation presents the prestigious Arabian Indian Czar Award annually?[A]Times Now[B]Hindu Group[C]Deccan Chronicle[D]NDTV
Answer: Times Now
The prestigious Arabian Indian Czar Award is given by Times Group. Recently, the second edition of Arabian Indian Czars Award was given to 15 successful Indians in the Middle East.
10. Which country is the largest market for Indian Seafood Products?[A]Russia[B]European Union[C]USA[D]Japan
United States is the largest market for Indian seafood products with a share of 26.46 per cent followed by South East Asia (25.71 per cent), European Union (20.08 per cent), Japan (9.11 per cent).
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »