GK & Current Affairs – January 28, 2016
1. D.B. Kulkarni, who passed away recently, was a writer in which language?
The veteran Marathi writer, critic and former President of the All India Marathi Sahitya Sammelan Dr. Dattatraya Bhikaji Kulkarni passed away in Pune, Maharashtra. His books like Dnyaneshwaranche Shrotrusamwad, Parthivteche Udayast, Samikshechi Sarhadda and Pahili Parampara were critically acclaimed by scholars of Marathi language.
2. Which of the following cities is hosting the ‘Bharat Parv’ festival?
Answer: New Delhi
To mark the 67th Republic Day, the three-day ‘Bharat Parv’ festival has been organised by the Union government at the Red fort, New Delhi from January 26, 2016. The fest organised is set to showcase the cuisine and culture of different states of India. The prime objective of organising the event is to generate a patriotic mood, promote the rich cultural diversity of the country and to ensure wider participation of the general public. The event is open to the public and the entry is free.
3. Which of the following states has launched Mukhyamantri Jal Swavalamban Abhiyan scheme?
The Rajasthan government has recently launched the Mukhyamantri Jal Swavalamban Abhiyan scheme to ensure effective implementation of water harvesting and water conservation related activities in the rural areas using a holistic approach, informed by the values of leadership, moral responsibility, excellence, innovation, partnership and purity.
4. The Central Institute of Buddhist Studies (CIBS) is located in which city?
Recently, the union government has declared the Central Institute of Buddhist Studies (CIBS), Leh (Ladakh) as a deemed-to-be-university under the de novo category.
5. Which of the following countries is hosting the 2016 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup?
Bangladesh is hosting the 2016 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup from 22 January to 14 February 2016. It is the 11th edition of the Under-19 Cricket World Cup and the second to be held in Bangladesh, after the 2004 event.
6. Tejasvini Bai is related to which sports?
Anup Kumar and Tejasvini Bai have been named as the captains of the men’s and women’s team respectively during their title defence in the South Asian Games to be held at Guwahati from February 5 to 16, 2016. It has been announced by the Assistant Secretary of the Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India, Deoraj Chaturvedi.
7. Which of the following countries is the world’s largest rice exporter in 2015?
According to the Bangkok based Thai Rice Exporters Association, India has overtaken Thailand as the world’s largest rice exporter in the year 2015 by shipping (exporting) 10.23 million tonnes of rice. Vietnam was third globally while China remained the No. 1 importer of rice.
8. Actor Abe Vigoda, who passed away recently, was famous for his role in which movie?
[A]New York Stories
[D]Gardens of Stone
Answer: The Godfather
Abe Vigoda (94), the actor who played Sal Tessio in the classic Godfather film series, has died. Vigoda also found great success on TV playing Detective Phil Fish in seventies sitcom ‘Barney Miller’.
9. Who has won the 2016 Allan Border Medal?
Answer: David Warner
The 2016 Allan Border Medal has been claimed by batsman David Warner, who was also named the Test Player of the Year.
10. In which of the following states of north east India, president’s rule is imposed, recently?
Answer: Arunachal Pradesh
President Pranab Mukherjee has imposed president’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh based on the recommendation of the union cabinet. The decision was taken under Article 356 of the Constitution. .