GK & Current Affairs: February 7, 8, 2015
1. Which among the following states is the venue for World Ocean Science Congress-2015?
The World Ocean Science Congress (WOSC) was kicked off in Kochi, Kerala. The congress is organized jointly by the Swadeshi Science Movement- Kerala, WOSC consortium and the Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies. The aim of the WOSC is to find sustainable means to utilize the resources carefully without causing any damage to the oceans and its marine life.
2. The Mount Kosciuszko, is the highest point in _____?
Mount Kosciuszko is the highest summit in Australia.
3. Which one of the following countries is not member of the SAARC Motor Vehicle Agreement?
India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal finalized Motor Vehicle Agreement that would facilitate their cross-border trade. The agreement will allow passenger, personal and cargo vehicles to travel along designated key routes in the four SAARC countries without the need for trans-shipment of goods and passengers at the border crossings.
4. The Marathi writer chosen for the prestigious Jnanpith Award-2014 is __?
Answer: Bhalchandra Nemade
Eminent Marathi litterateur Bhalchandra Nemade has been chosen for the 2014 Jnanpith award, the highest literary honour in India. He has been chosen for the award for his novel Kosala(Cocoon), which changed the dimensions of Marathi novel. Nemade is the fourth Marathi writer to win the literary honour after VS Khandekar in 1974, VV Shirwadkar alias Kusumagraj in 1988, and Govind Karandikar alias Vinda Karandikar in 2003.
5. The GRIHA is a rating tool related to which one of the following fields?
GRIHA is nothing but Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment. It is a rating tool for buildings. It helps people assesses the performance of their building against certain nationally acceptable benchmarks. It evaluates the environmental performance of a building holistically over its entire life cycle, thereby providing a definitive standard for what constitutes a green building.
6. Who among the following is the founder of “R20 Regions of Climate Action” a non-profit environmental organization?
Answer: Arnold Schwarzenegger
R20 Regions of Climate Action is a non-profit environmental organization. It was founded in 2010 by Arnold Schwarzenegger and other global leaders in cooperation with the United Nations. Its mission is to help sub-national governments to implement low-carbon and climate-resilient projects, as well as to share best practices in renewable energy and energy efficiency, in order to build a green economy.
7. The Pampa Prashasti is the highest literacy award given by which of the following states?
Pampa Prashasti is the highest literary honour conferred by the Karnataka government on a litterateur for his/her lifetime contribution to Kannada literature. The award is named after Adikavi Pampa of 10th Century. The award carries award money of Rs. 3 lakh and a citation.
8. Which among the following states has won the 10th National Award for Excellence work in Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)?
Answer: Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh has been awarded 10th National Award for Excellence work in Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA). The award was given to Madhya Pradesh for convergence of MGNREGA and other schemes for construction of permanent assets and for excellent work in providing opportunities for earning permanent income.
9. According to Canalys report, which of the following has been emerged as leading Smartphone maker in India?
Micromax has become India’s biggest smartphone vendor, replacing Korean electronics giant Samsung, research firm Canalys. As per the report, Micromax captured 22 per cent of the total smartphone market in India during 2014. Samsung was only slightly below at 20 per cent. After Samsung, Karbonn and Lava took third and fourth places in India, respectively.
10. Andre Brink, who died recently, was a famous anti-apartheid writer belongs to which country?
Answer: South Africa
Andre Brink was a South African anti-apartheid writer. Winner of several book awards he was nominated three times for a Nobel Prize. Among his works the novel “A Dry White Season” was most popular.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|