GK & Current Affairs – February 12, 13, 2016
1. India’s first disabled-friendly beach will come up in which state?
India’s first disable friendly beach will come up at the Tithal beach in Valsad district, Gujarat. It aims to provide better facilities to the disable peoples at the public places like hospitals, parks, movie theatres, etc. The facilities will be designed in such a way that disabled people can access them without any assistance.
2. Who is the author of the book titled “A Kingdom For His Love”?
Answer: Vani Mahesh
A fiction book titled “A Kingdom For His Love” has been co-authored by Vani Mahesh and Shinie Antony, which is recently launched by Amar Chitra Katha (ACK). The book retell the Sanskrit play ‘Swapnavasavadattam’, by one of the earliest and most celebrated playwrights Bhasa. It is an immersive novel about two people coming together against all odds for the sake of true love.
3. Elephanta Island is located in which state?
The UNESCO world heritage site Elephanta Island, also known as the ‘City of Caves’, will soon get completely electrified by Independence Day 2016. The island is famous for its Hindu cave sculptures depicting the cult of Shiva. It is located in Mumbai Harbour, east of Mumbai, Maharashtra.
4. Who has been named vice-chairman of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Commission on Corporate Responsibility and Anti-corruption?
[A]Pratap Kumar Jain
Answer: Davinder Singh
Davinder Singh, a top Indian-origin lawyer in Singapore, has been named as Vice-Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce Commission (ICC) on Corporate Responsibility and Anti- corruption.
5. Who has been appointed as new Australian High Commissioner to India?
Answer: Harinder Sidhu
Indian-origin Harinder Sidhu has been appointed as Australian High Commissioner to India. She replaces outgoing High Commissioner Patrick Suckling. She is the second envoy from Australia with Indian roots after Peter Varghese who had ancestral roots to southern Indian state of Kerala.
6. Name the umpire who has been banned by the Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) for five years on corruption charges?
Answer: Asad Rauf
The BCCI has banned Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf for five years on charges of corruption and misconduct. Asad Rauf was sought after by the Crime branch in connection with the spot- fixing scandal that rocked the Indian Premier League in 2013.
7. By which of the following year, India has set the target of eliminating malaria in the country?
The Indian government has launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) 2016-2030, which outlines the country’s strategy for elimination of the disease by 2030. The incidence of malaria in the country is at 0.08% in a population of nearly 1.25 billion.
8. Which of the following agreement is signed between Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and UAE Central Bank?
[A]Monetary Exchange Agreement
[B]Currency Swap Agreement
[C]Anti-Money Laundering Agreement
[D]Rupee Exchange Agreement
Answer: Currency Swap Agreement
The RBI has signed a pact with the Central Bank of the UAE to enter into a Currency Swap Agreement, which is aimed at strengthening economic ties with the Gulf nation. The MoU was signed between RBI chief Raghuram Rajan and UAE’s Central Bank Governor Mubarak Rashed Al Mansoori.
9. The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) detectors are located in which country?
Answer: United States
Scientists for the first time have observed ripples in the space-time called gravitational waves. This confirms a major prediction of Albert Einstein’s 1915 general theory of relativity and opens an unprecedented new window onto the cosmos. The gravitational waves were detected by both of the twin Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) detectors, located in Livingston, Louisiana, and Hanford, Washington, USA.
10. India’s first LCD panel plant will come up in which state?
Vedanta Group’s owner Anil Agarwal has announced that his firm Twinstar Display Technologies will set up India’s first LCD manufacturing facility, known as Panel FAB, in Maharashtra with an investment of $10 billion. .
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »