Gorakhpur now has world's longest railway platform
A newly constructed railway platform in Gorakhpur, U.P. entered into the Limca Book of World Records for being world’s longest railway platform.
- Platform No. 1 of the Gorakhpur is 1366.33 metres with ramp and 11355.40 metres without it.
- Gorakhpur is headquarter of North Eastern Railways zone.
The World’s longest railway platforms are:
- Gorakhpur railway station (Uttar Pradesh, India): 1,366.33 m (4,483 ft)
- Kollam Junction Railway Station (Kerala, India): 1,180.5 m (3,873 ft)
- Kharagpur (West Bengal, India): 1,072.5 m (3,519 ft)
- State Street Center subway station (Chicago, Illinois, USA): 1,067 m (3,501 ft) (longest in United States)
- Cheriton Shuttle Terminal (Folkestone, United Kingdom): 791 m (2,595 ft) (longest in Europe)
- Bilaspur railway station (Chhattisgarh, India): 790 m (2,592 ft)
- Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh, India): 770 m (2,526 ft)
- East Perth railway station (Perth, Western Australia): 770 m (2,526 ft) (longest in Australia)
- Kalgoorlie railway station (Kalgoorlie, Western Australia): 760 m (2,493 ft)
- Sonepur railway station (Sonepur, Bihar, India): 738 m (2,421 ft)
After Gorakhpur,and Kollam, Kharagpur has the world’s third longest railway platform in the world with a length of 1,072.5 metres (3,519 ft).
Zones and Headquarters of Indian Railways
Indian Railways has 17 zones and each zonal railway is made up of a certain number of divisions, each having a divisional headquarters. There are a total of 68 divisions.
|Central (CR)||Mumbai||Bhusawal, Nagpur, Mumbai(CST), Solapur, Pune|
|East Central (ECR)||Hajipur||Danapur, Dhanbad, Sonepur, Mughalsarai, Samastipur|
|Eastern Coast (ECoR)||Bhubaneswar||Khurda Road, Waltair, Sambalpur|
|Eastern (ER)||Kolkata||Malda, Howarh, Sealdah, Asansol|
|North Central (NCR)||Allahabad||Allahabad, Jhansi, Agra|
|North-Eastern (NER)||Gorakhpur||Lucknow, Varanasi, Izatnagar|
|North-Western (NWR)||Jaipur||Bikaner, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Ajmer|
|Northeast Frontier (NFR)||Guwahati||Katihar, Lumding, Tinsukhia, Alipurduar, Rangiya|
|Northern (NR)||Delhi||Ambala, Ferozpur, Lucknow, Moradabad, Delhi|
|South-Central (SCR)||Secunderabad||Secunderabad, Hyderabad, Guntakal, Vijaywada, Guntur, Nanded|
|South-East Central (SECR)||Bilaspur||Nagpur, Bilaspur, Raipur|
|South-Eastern (SER)||Kolkata||Kharagpur, Chakradharpur, Adra, Ranchi|
|South-Western (SWR)||Hubli||Bangalore, Mysore, Hubli|
|Southern (SR)||Chennai||Chennai, Madurai, Palghat, Trichy, Trivandrum|
|West Central (WCR)||Jabalpur||Jabalpur, Bhopal, Kota|
|Western (WR)||Mumbai||Bhavnagar, Mumbai Central, Ratlam, Rajkot, Vadodara*, Ahemdabad|
|Kolkata Metro Railway (KMR)||Kolkata||Kolkata metropolitan area, South 24 Parganas, North 24 Parganas|
Topics: Andhra Pradesh • Assam • Australia • Bihar • Chhattisgarh • Current Affairs 2014 • Delhi • EU • infrastructure • Kerala • Madhya Pradesh • Maharashtra • Railways • Rajasthan • US • USA • Uttar Pradesh • West Bengal
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|