Admiral Vladimir S Vysotskiy Visits India
He recently visited India on the invitation of Admiral Nirmal Verma. There was a discussion on issues of common interest ranging from maritime environment in the IOR, operational Philosophies of the two navies, ongoing projects of the Indian Navy and mutual training exchanges. There was a detailed deliberation on the training of Indian Naval personnel for the operation of aircraft carrier Vikramaditya, scheduled to commence in 2011.
In recent years defense relations between the India and Russia have transformed into a strategic partnership with various joint developmental programmes.
1. Indian Navy and Russian Navy have regularly conducted joint exercises named ‘INDRA’ since 2003. Five exercises have been held so far.
2. The last exercise INDRA 09/01 was conducted off Goa and INS Beas made a port call at St Petersburg.
- INS Vikramaditya is the rechristened name of Kiev class Soviet aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov.
- India is procuring it from Russia and it is estimated to enter service in the Indian Navy after 2012.
- It will replace India’s only Aircraft career INS Virat.
Topics: Dabolim Airport • Indian Navy • INDRA • INS Vikramaditya • Kiev-class aircraft carrier • Military • Russian Navy • Ships • Soviet aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov • States and union territories of India • Vikramaditya
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|