GK & Current Affairs – February 8, 2016
1. Which of the following projects has been launched for prevention of AIDS in the eight North-Eastern states?
Answer: Project Sunrise
The Union government has launched a new initiative “Project Sunrise” to tackle the increasing HIV prevalence in the North-Eastern states. The project is a five-year programme (2015-2020) aimed at complementing the ongoing National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) which is to primarily improve coverage, quality and scale of HIV interventions among People Who Inject Drugs (PWID) in the 8 North East (NE) States. The project has been sponsored by US based Centre for Disease Control and would be implemented by Family Health International 360.
2. Sudhir Tailang, who passed away recently, was related to which field?
Answer: Cartoon making
The well-known Indian political cartoonist Sudhir Tailang (55) passed away recently. He recently launched a book of cartoons titled “No, Prime Minister”, a set of cartoons on former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. He worked with Hindustan Times, Times of India, Indian Express, Asian age, etc.
3. Who has been invited from India to serve as a panelist on a UN panel on women’s economic empowerment?
[D]Janak Palta McGilligan
Answer: Renana Jhabvala
Renana Jhabvala, an Ahmedabad-based social worker has been invited to serve as a panelist on a UN panel on women’s economic empowerment. She is best known for her long association with the Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA), India, and for her writings on issues of women in the informal economy. The purpose of UN panel to provide recommendations on improving economic outcomes for women and promoting women’s leadership in driving sustainable, inclusive and environmentally-sensitive economic growth in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The panel is sponsored by the United Kingdom, the World Bank Group and UN Women.
4. The inaugural Kerala Literature Festival 2016 has been hosted by which city?
The inaugural Kerala Literature Festival 2016 has been hosted by the Department of Culture and Kozhikode Corporation in alliance with D.C. Books at Kozhikode, Kerala from February 4, 2016. The festival had an array of contemporary topics set for discussion in its various sessions. Besides literature, spirituality, social media, women’s issues, Dalit issues, freedom of expression, environment issues, and media activism were the key topics of discussion in the fest.
5. The first joint tactical exercise of India and China has been conducted in which of the following location?
India and China conducted their first joint tactical exercise in eastern Ladakh as part of the ongoing policy to ensure greater interaction between troops stationed along the Line of Actual Control and boost bilateral military CBMs. The exercise was held on February 6, 2016.
6. The first-ever Global Maritime Summit will be held in which country in April 2016?
India will host the first-ever Global Maritime Summit in April 2016.
7. The National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) is located in which state?
The Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently inaugurated the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) located at Jatani in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
8. Currently, how many countries are members of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement?
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a multinational trade agreement among twelve Pacific Rim countries viz. Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, Vietnam, and the United States. The agreement entered into force after it was signed by 12 countries on 4 February 2016 in Auckland, New Zealand.
9. Who has been named in ICC’s newly appointed Anti-Corruption Oversight Group?
[A]V V S Laxman
Answer: Rahul Dravid
Indian batting great Rahul Dravid has been named in ICC’s newly appointed Anti-Corruption Oversight Group as part of the recommendation from its Integrity Working Party of the parent body. The oversight group will include legal expert Louis Weston and independent anti-corruption advisor John Abbott.
10. Which of the following countries has launched a long-range rocket defying international warnings?
Answer: North Korea
Recently, North Korea has fired a long-range rocket defying international sanctions. The United States, Japan and South Korea condemned the launch, a move widely seen as step toward North Korea mastering the technology for making a missile capable of striking the mainland United States. .
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »