Daily Current Affairs 2012 Quiz : August 7-10, 2012
1. Who among the following has recently taken charge as the new Chief Economic Advisor after the working period of Kaushik Basu concluded on 31st July, 2012 ?
2. India’s first ‘financial Supermarket’ aimed at cross-selling non-standard banking products has opened in _______ :
The State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur (SBBJ) has come up with a new concept — the first financial supermarket. The country’s first such branch in the banking sector was opened today in Jaipur. It will not be the typical bank branch vending traditional deposit and loan products, but a hub offering a basket of diversified products, says SBBJ.Customers will offered non-standard products such as insurance, both life and general, credit card and mutual fund.
3. Who among the following has authored ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ which has recently become UK’s largest selling book, outselling ‘The Da Vinci code’ and Harry Potter novels?
[A]E L James
E L James
Erika Leonard, better known by the pseudonym E. L. James is the British author of the bestselling erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey. James initially wrote fanfiction under the pen name “Snowqueens Icedragon”, with her most notable work being a Twilight fanfiction that eventually developed into ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’.The other books in the trilogy, ‘Fifty Shades Darker’ and ‘Fifty Shades Freed’.
4. Which among the following typhoons which have hit the east coast of China in less than a week ?
[D]All of the above
All of the above
Typhoon Haikui slammed into the east coast of China on 8 August 2012. This is the third typhoon to hit China’s east coast in less than a week. The other two typhoons which hit China were Damrey and Saola.
5. Which among the following awards is India’s highest honour given for achievement in Sports?
[A]Dhyan Chand Award
[C]Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
[D]None of the above
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
The award was instituted in the year 1991–92 to supply the lack of a supreme national accolade in the field of sports. Predating the RGKR are the Arjuna awards that have always been given to outstanding sportspersons in each of many sporting disciplines every year. The Khel Ratna was devised to be an overarching honour, conferred for outstanding sporting performance, whether by an individual or a team, across all sporting disciplines in a given year.
6. Which among the following is not a permanent member of the Nordic Council?
The Nordic Council is a geo-political, inter-parliamentary forum for co-operation between the Nordic countries-which consists of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden and their associated territories, the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Åland.
7. Recently ‘Naresh Chandra Committee’ has submitted its report on ________ to the Government.
[D]Drought management in rain-deficient States
Naresh Chandra Committee, a 14-member task force on national security, submitted its report to the government on 8 August 2012. The committee was set up by the Union government on 21 June 2012 to suggest ways to revamp of defence management in the country.The main objective behind the constitution of the committee was to contemporarise the Kargil Review Committee’s recommendations, which was tabled in the Parliament on 23 February 2000. Besides, the task force was also asked to examine the state of country’s border management and restructuring system.
8. Recently Guitar-maker Gibson has agreed to pay a hefty fine of $350,000 to avoid U.S. prosecution over allegations of illegal import of endangered Indian ______ :
9. In a major breakthrough, Scientists for the first time have found evidence of another oxidant named ___, which plays an important role in the formation of gaseous Sulphuric Acid in the atmosphere.
Scientists for the first time found evidence of another oxidant named X, which plays an important role in the formation of gaseous sulphuric acid in the atmosphere. Until now there was a misconception that the combination of OH(hydroxyl radical) oxidant with sulphur dioxide was the reason behind the formation of gaseous sulphuric acid is formed in the atmosphere. The new oxidant is capable of oxidizing suphur dioxide. Experiments done by Scientists showed that the concentration of ‘X’ also does not remain constant during the day.
10. The Rajasthan Government will revamp the half-century-old ‘Chambal Canal System’ with assistance from :
[C]Ministry of Water Resources
[D]Ministry of Rural Development
The National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development (NABARD) will help the Rajasthan Government revamp the half-century-old Chambal canal system which caters to the irrigation needs of the Hadauti districts of Kota, Bundi and Baran. The Hadauti region is known for its grain and cereal production including export quality Bundi rice, thanks to its comparatively better water availability. The funding for the revamp of the canal system forms part of a total loan assistance of Rs.1,833 crore from NABARD to Rajasthan under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF-XVIII) and the NABARD Development Assistance (NIDA) in the current financial year.