What is Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will digitally launch Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana. He is also going to launch e-Gopala application.
About Matsya Sampada Yojana
The scheme will be launched for sustainable development of fisheries in India. It is going to be implemented between 2020-21 and 2024-25. Under the scheme, total funds allocations to the fisheries sector is Rs 20,050 crores.
Key Features of the scheme
- The scheme will be a boost to double the income of fish farmers.
- It is aimed at increasing the fish production to 70 lakh tonnes by 2024-25.
- This is going to reduce the post-harvest losses of fisheries sector to 10%.
- It will also generate 55 lakhs direct and indirect employment in this sector.
- The scheme will also establish finfish hatcheries, biofloc ponds, ornamental fish culture units, ice plants, cages and fish feed plants.
The application is a comprehensive technique which will be launched with an aim to boost the breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers. It will help fish farmers to manage livestock digitally. With this application, the farmers will also be involved in buying and selling of disease-free germplasm and can easily check for availability of quality breeding services for veterinary first aid, artificial insemination and vaccination. The application will also send alerts to farmers about new government schemes.
Apart from that, Prime Minister will also announce the establishment of Fish Brood Bank at Sitamarhi, and Aquatic Disease Referral Laboratory at Kishanganj, in Bihar. For both, assistance will be provided under the PMMSY. These establishments will help in enhancing production and productivity of fish. It will also ensure timely availability of quality and affordable fish seed for the fish farmers. It will also address the need for disease diagnosis, water and soil testing facilities.