What is National Action Plan for Conservation of Migratory Birds?
On the eve of world migratory bird day, 10th October 2020, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar announced that India has launched the National Action Plan for the Conservation of Migratory Birds. He apprised to the country that the ministry has launched the conservation plan along the central Asian flyway.
There are 9 flyways in the world. The central Asian flyway is one among them. It encompasses migration routes over 30 countries. It includes breeding Grounds of Russia, Maldives, west and South Asia, British Indian ocean territory. The fly away is important to India because it provides critical stop over sites to over 90 percentage of the birds migrating in this route.
About the plan
- The plan was launched to be implemented between 2018 and 2023. The overall goal of the plan is to reduce population decline of migratory birds and to secure their habitat. The short-term goal of the plan is to stop the decline in population by 2027.
- The plan is to be implemented by the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change. A status report of the plan implementation is to be published by the Ministry every two years.
- The plan aims to conserve the migratory birds and their habitats within the agenda of Sustainable Development Goals.
- It draws upon the five major goals of conservation of migratory species strategic plan 2015 to 2023.
Major components of the plan
In order to achieve its objectives, the plan has been structured in the following six interrelated components
- Species conservation
- Habitat conservation and sustainable management
- Communication and outreach
- Capacity development
- Research and knowledge base development
- International cooperation
Objectives of the plan
- to reduce pressure on critical habitats
- to stop the decline of migratory birds and reverse the scenario
- to avoid threats to habitats
- to support transform boundary cooperation
- to improve database
World Migratory Bird Day: May 8
Every year, the World Migratory Day is celebrated on second Saturday of May and October. This year, ...
Three-branded Rosefinch: New bird species in India
A team of scientists from the Bombay Natural History Society recorded a new species of bird. It has ...
Kaliveli Wetlands- First Declaration for converting it into Bird Sanctuary
Recently, the Villupuram district administration in Tamil Nadu has issued the first declaration unde...
Bird Deaths in Pong Dam Sanctuary
More than 1700 migratory birds died in Pong Dam of Himachal Pradesh under mysterious circumstances. ...
Bihar migratory bird festival
Bihar is planning its first ever migratory bird festival this year. This is a three-day festival to ...
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|