Nitish Kumar appointed as Chief Minister of Bihar
On November 16, 2020, the President of Janata Dal was appointed as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the fourth consecutive term. The Chief Minister is appointed by the Governor.
Is the Chief Minister appointed or Elected?
The Chief Ministers and the Prime Ministers in India are appointed by the Governor and President respectively. On the other hand, the Members of Legislative Assembly and Members of Parliament are elected by the people. According to Article 164, the Chief Minister is appointed by the Governor.
What are the powers of the Chief Minister?
The following are the powers of the Chief Minister with respect to Governor
- The CM advises the Governor on the appointment of State Public Service Commission, Attorney General, etc.
- The Chief Minister has to provide the details regarding the administration whenever the Governor asks for the information.
- The Chief Minister has to communicate with Governor about decisions of council of ministers.
The following are the powers of the Chief Minister with respect to the State Legislature
- The dissolution of legislative assembly is recommended by the Chief Minister.
- He advises the Governor on proroguing, summoning the sessions of State Legislative Assembly.
The following are the power of Chief Minister with respect to the Council of Ministers
- He allocates and reshuffles portfolios among ministers
- He advises the Governor on the appointment of the ministers.
- When there arises difference of opinion, the Chief Minister can ask the minister to resign.
- When the Chief Minister resigns, the cabinet of ministers have to resign compulsorily.
- He directs and controls the activities of the all the ministers.
Who is appointed as the Chief Minister?
After the State Legislative Assembly elections, a coalition group that secures majority in the house elects its leader. This is conveyed to the governor and he appoints him as the CM. When no party has secured majority in the election, the Governor shall ask the leader of the single largest party in the state to form the government.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|