INS Tanaji Naval Base Station commissioned by Indian Navy
- Indian Navy commissioned a Naval Base Station – INS Tanaji in Mumbai’s Eastern suburb of Mankhurd.
- The base depot ship INS Tanaji will look after berthing and ship lift facilities of the Indian Navy.
- INS Tanaji is named after Maratha warrior Tanaji Malusare.
Who was Tanaji Malusare?
- Tanaji Malusare was a Maratha warrior and military leader in the army of Shivaji.
- Tanaji Malusare was also known as Simha (Lion).
- Tanaji was one of Shivaji’s closest friends heralding from Malusare Clan; the two knew each other since childhood.
- Tanaji is famously known for the Battle of Sinhagad in 1670.
- At Shivaji’s request, Tanaji pledged to recapture the fortress of Kondana near Pune.
- Tanaji lost his life in the battle of Sinhagad.
- Shivaji renamed the fort from Kondana to Sinhagad Tanaji’s honor.
- Shivaji’s words after hearing about the demise of Tanaji were "Gad ala pan Sinha gela"(Meaning: although the fort was captured a lion was lost in the battle).
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2012