India, Pakistan eased visa regime
Indian signed long-awaiting visa agreements aimed to make the visa norms more lenient and liberal.
The new visa regime – the first major modernization since 1974 – in particular relaxes travel restrictions for businessmen and brings in a new group tourism category. As per the new visa norms:
- Visa on arrival facility will be provided to senior citizens after arriving at Attari and Wagah border in India and Pakistan respectively.
- A single-entry visa for a maximum period of 6 months has been introduced but the stay cannot exceed 3 months at a time and it allows for travelling 5 places, which is currently limited to only 3.
- For the first time Group tourist visas (10 to 50 people) have been brought in.
- Business visa has been differentiated from visitor, and the former will be issued within 5 weeks.
- Senior citizens, children below 12 years age, and renowned businessmen exempted from police reporting.
- People will be permitted to enter and exit from different check posts and can also change their means of travel. It is subject to exception that exit from Wagah/Attari by road (on foot) will not be accepted unless the entry was also by foot via Wagah/Attari.