India recently launched the CMS-01 communication satellite into the Geostationary Transfer Orbit. It was earlier called the GSAT-12R. The satellite was launched on a PSLV-C50 launch vehicle.
About the CMS-01 Satellite
- It is the 42nd communication satellite of India
- It weighs 1,410 kilograms. It is a replacement of GSAT-12. The GSAT-12 was launched in 2011 to provide services such as disaster management support, tele-medicine, satellite internet access and tele-education. These functions are now to be replaced by CMS-01.
- It has a mission life of seven years.
- The satellite will provide telecom services in the extended C-Band of the frequency spectrum. It will include Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands.
It includes frequencies ranging from 4 GHz to 8 GHZ. These frequencies are generally used for communication transmissions, Wi-Fi, weather radar systems and surveillance.
Next PSLV Mission
In the next PSLV Mission, the first satellite of a start up called Pixxel India is to be launched. The satellite is called “Anand”. It is an earth observation satellite that is to be launched on PSLV C51. Along with Anand, two more satellites are to be launched. These two satellites are by Space Kidz India and UnitySat.
Following CMS-01, ISRO is to launch EOS-02 in its new Small Satellite Launch Vehicle. Also, India is to launch GISAT-1, a Geo-Imaging Satellite in its GSLV-F10 and Microsat-2A. India recently drafted its SpaceCom Policy that is expected to revolutionize the space sector of India.
SpaceCom Policy of India
The Government of India has permitted space reforms by allowing the participation of private players. The draft Spacecom was released by ISRO. The SpaceCom Policy, 2020 aims on the following
- To adopt measures to monitor and authorize use of space assets
- To ensure protection of space assets.
- To promote increased participation of commercial Indian industry.
- To provide timely and responsive regulatory environment.
- To concentrate on realization of space-based communication systems.
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|