Trans-Himalayan Multi-Dimensional Connectivity Network
China and Nepal recently gave their consent to construct “Trans-Himalayan Multi-Dimensional Connectivity Network”. China will also give a grant assistance of USD 118 million to Nepal, to undertake several projects in 2022.
Highlights of the China-Nepal agreement:
- Under the agreement, China will finance the feasibility study of a China-Nepal cross-border railway.
- Experts from China will visit to Nepal to do surveys in 2022.
- Trans-Himalayan Multi-Dimensional Connectivity network will be constructed under Belt & Road Initiative of China. Under it, railways and communication networks will be constructed.
About Trans-Himalayan Multi-Dimensional Connectivity Network:
The network is also called as “Trans-Himalayan network”. It is an economic corridor between Nepal and China, under the Belt and Road Initiative. The construction of this network was appreciated by Chinese President as switching Nepal “from a landlocked to a land-linked country”. The network comprises of multiple transportation infrastructure projects, one such project being “China–Nepal railway”. China-Nepal railway project is at feasibility study stage. Other projects include;
- Construction of a tunnel road
- Upgrading of the Araniko Highway. This highway was closed down following the Gorkha earthquake. It ends at border of Kodari village and Chinese border crossing of Zhangmu.
- Restoration of border port.
The network also involves internal improvements to Nepalese transport infrastructure like Koshi Economic Corridor, Karnali Economic Corridor and Gandaki Economic Corridor.
Category: International / World Current Affairs