What are some lesser-known facts about Draupadi Murmu, 15th President of India?
Droupadi Murmu recently elected as the 15th President of India. She is scheduled to take oath in July 25, 2022. There was the contest between Droupadi Murmu (BJP-led NDA candidate) and Yashwant Sinha (Joint Opposition Candidate), for the President’s position.
Lesser-known facts about Draupadi Murmu:
- Droupadi Murmu, aged 64, has become the first tribal President and second female President of India.
- She is also the first President, belong to Odisha. She was born in Mayurbhanj district in Odisha, in the Santhal tribal community.
- She was born on June 20, 1958 and has become the youngest President of India. She was born to Biranchi Narayan Tudu, who was a farmer in Baldaposi village of Odisha.
- In 1997, she became the vice-chairperson of Rairangpur NAC and vice-president of state ST Morcha of BJP.
- After completing her graduation from Ramadevi Women’s College, Bhubaneswar, she got a chance to work as honorary assistant professor in Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research, Rairangpur.
- During 1979 to 1983, she worked as a junior assistant in irrigation department of Odisha.
- She was married to Shyam Charan Murmu. They had two sons and a daughter. However, she lost her husband and two sons.
- She is also India’s first president to be born after Independence.
Her political career started in 1997, after she joined the BJP. In 1997, she got elected as councillor of Rairangpur district in Odisha. Later in 1998, she became the vice-chairperson of Rairangpur NAC. Between 2000-2002, she was the transport and commerce minister in Odisha government. In 2007, she received the ‘Nilakantha Award’ for best MLA of the year. She became the 9th and 1st tribal governor of Jharkhand in 2015 and served till 2021.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|