Surajkund International Crafts Mela-2019
The Surajkund International Crafts Mela is organized every year by the Surajkund Mela Authority & Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs.
The state of Maharashtra is the Theme State and Thailand is the Partner Nation Country for the Surajkund International Crafts Mela-2019.
Objectives of the Surajkund International Crafts Mela
The Surajkund International Crafts is organised, managed and run Mela at Surajkund Faridabad with a view
- To promote handicrafts, handlooms with the aid of craftsmen invited from all over the country
- To identify languishing and lesser-known crafts and to introduce them to patrons.
- To display crafts and loom techniques by organising demonstration sections in the Mela grounds.
- To undertake the promotion of export of handlooms and handicrafts.
- To set up an environment in which rural crafts traditions could be displayed and to project the traditional rural ambience of a typical village near Delhi for travellers who may not have the time or means to visit an Indian village.
The Mela also aims to be a custodian of the heritage crafts involving the use of traditional skills that are fading away due to cheap machine-made imitations, and a special section is earmarked for showcasing of these heritage crafts.
The theme state concept was conceptualized broadly with a view to promote and focus on art, craft and cuisine of each state of India every year.