Rescue Efforts in Silkyara-Barkot Tunnel: Authorities Unveil Five-Point Plan
As the challenging rescue mission continues for the 41 workers trapped in the under-construction Silkyara-Barkot tunnel in Uttarkashi, authorities have devised a comprehensive five-point plan. The plan involves drilling operations from multiple angles to expedite the rescue operation, which has faced setbacks in the past week.
Five-Point Rescue Plan
- Vertical Drilling from Top: Vertical drilling operations will be conducted from the top of the hill under which the workers are trapped. This approach aims to create a vertical tunnel for rescuing the workers.
- Horizontal Drilling at Silkyara Side: Ongoing efforts to drill horizontally through the debris blocking the tunnel at the Silkyara side will continue. This involves creating a passage through the debris to reach the trapped workers.
- Tunnel Drilling from Barkot Side: A new operation will commence to drill a small tunnel from the Barkot side. This additional tunneling effort aims to provide an alternative route for rescuing the workers.
- Pipeline for Supplies: A six-inch-wide vertical pipeline is being established from the top of the hill to the trapped area. This pipeline will serve as a means to pass supplies, including food and other necessities, to the trapped workers.
- Strengthening Existing Tunnel: Safety measures and strengthening of the existing tunnel will be undertaken. This involves drilling from the Silkyara end to ensure the structural integrity of the tunnel.
Five different agencies have been assigned specific responsibilities for different aspects of the rescue plan:
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Sutluj Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVNL)
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL)
- National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL)
- Tehri Hydro Development Corporation Limited (THDCL)
Communication and Well-being
Communication with the trapped workers has been established through walkie-talkies, and supplies, including food and oxygen, are being provided through pipelines. Authorities emphasize the workers’ safety and morale during the rescue operation.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs