Indian Army aims to transform itself into a “future-ready, technology-driven, lethal and agile force.” To achieve this vision, it has initiated a project called Project Sanjay, which focuses on building the Army’s Battlefield Surveillance System. The primary objective of this system is to provide commanders and staffers with a composite operational picture for faster decision-making. Bharat Electronics Limited is the system integrator of this ambitious project. It has validated the project in various terrains and is now delivering the surveillance centers for field formations by December 2025.
The Army is working on several other projects, including SAMA, Combat Information Decision Support System, E-Sitrep, Project Avgat, Project Anumaan, and Project INDRA.
- SAMA is being developed to provide situational awareness to commanders and staffers at all levels. It will present a comprehensive battlefield picture based on authorizations and roles.
- The Combat Information Decision Support System is being redesigned as the Army Information and Decision Support System, which will integrate inputs from all operational and managerial information systems.
- E-Sitrep will focus on situational reporting over an enterprise-class GIS platform.
- Project Avgat is inspired by PM Gati Shakti, which aims to bring multi-domain spatial awareness on a single GIS platform.
- Project Anumaan is an initiative in collaboration with the National Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF) to receive customised weather forecasts for its components.
- Project INDRA will manage a database of junior commissioned officers and other personnel across 47 Record Offices.
The Army’s ASAAN application is software for Agnipath Administration and Networking. It was put to use from January 1, 2023, for the first batch of Agniveers who joined the training centers. With the introduction of e-office, the use of digital signatures has increased from near zero in October 2022 to several thousand every month in 2023, reducing paper usage and improving efficiency.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2023
Category: Defence Current Affairs