NITI Aayog to establish 1,000 Atal Tinkering Labs in J&K
The NITI Aayog has planned to establish 1000 Atal Tinkering Laboratories in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Out of 1000 Atal Tinkering Laboratories, 187 will be established by the end of the financial year 2021-22.
- Out of 187 ATLs, 31 are being established across government schools of J&k while 50 will be established in several educational institutions like KVs, JNVs and Private schools.
- Process of establishing the remaining 106 labs will be initiated soon.
- Apart from that, department has also been asked to ensure regular maintenance of infrastructure as well as equipment of these centres in line with other government departments.
Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL)
ATL is a sub-mission under Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) of Central Government in India. It is the flagship initiative of AIM, that seeks to nurture an innovative mindset amongst high school students across India. It is an important government scheme administered under NITI Aayog. The initiative also seeks to boost cognitive development among children where they are provided avenues to widen their understanding on scientific ideas.
Goals of ATL
- ATL is an activity, which is conducted under the AIM. AIM is the flagship program for fostering a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- ATL is established by AIM in schools with the vision of ‘Cultivating one Million children in India as Neoteric Innovators’.
- Primary objectives of setting up ATLs is to promote imagination, curiosity and creativity in young minds.
- ATL also seeks to inculcate in children a design mindset, computational thinking, adaptive learning, and physical computing, etc.
What is Atal Innovation Mission?
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is the flagship program of central government to foster a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation. AIM under NITI Aayog is anticipated as an umbrella innovation organisation that play an instrumental role in aligning innovation policies between central, state and sectoral ministries. Important components of the AIM are:
- Atal Tinkering Labs
- Atal Incubation Centres
- Atal New India Challenge
- Mentor of Change Program
- Atal Community Innovation Centre
- Atal Research & Innovation for Small Enterprises (ARISE)