Global Security Initiative
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) Annual Conference 2022, Chinese President Xi Jinping has put forward a new Global Security Initiative.
Why is the purpose of Global security initiative?
- According to the Chinese president, the initiative is to promote security for all in the world and to oppose unilateralism, and group politics and bloc confrontation.
- The initiative is aimed at countering the initiatives of west like the Indo-Pacific strategy of the USA, the Quad and the AUKUS (Australia-U.K.-U.S.) security pact.
What are the six areas defined by Chinese president?
- Stay committed to the vision of common, comprehensive, cooperative peace & security.
- Stay committed to respecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries.
- Stay committed to abiding by the purposes and principles of the UN Charter.
- Stay committed to taking the legitimate security concerns of all countries seriously.
- Stay committed to peacefully resolving differences and disputes between countries.
- Stay committed to maintaining security in both traditional and non-traditional domains.
What is Quad?
Quad is an informal strategic security dialouge comprising of Australia, India, Japan, and the United States. Quad is viewed as a response to increased Chinese economic and military power.
How did China respond to Quad?
China responded to the Quad by issuing formal diplomatic protests to its members. China called the Quad as “Asian NATO”.
How did Quad members respond to China’s allegations?
Quad members rejected the notion that it is an Asian NATO or a military alliance. The members pointed to the broad-based cooperation of the members, including on vaccines and technology.
What is new Indo-Pacific strategy of USA?
In February 2022, USA announced its new strategy for a “free and open Indo-Pacific” region. The strategy pledges support for regional connectivity, trade, and deepening bilateral and multilateral partnerships in the Indo-Pacific.
How is the new strategy different from earlier Indo-Pacific strategy under Trump administration?
- The new strategy puts greater emphasis on cooperation with regional allies & partners.
- It also mentions plans for forthcoming “Indo-Pacific Economic Framework” that will emphasize new approaches to trade.
What is AUKUS?
AUKUS is a trilateral security pact between Australia, the United Kingdom (UK), and the United States (USA) for the Indo-Pacific region. Under this, the US and the UK will help Australia to acquire nuclear-powered submarines.
What is criticism against AUKUS?
- China accused that the three western powers are having a “cold-war mentality”, as the deal was widely viewed as a response to China’s status as an emerging superpower.
- To mark the protest, France recalled its ambassadors from Australia and the US; French foreign minister called the pact a “stab in the back” as Australia cancelled French–Australian submarine deal without notice.
- It was also criticized for not including New Zealand, & Quad members like India & Japan.
- Some experts argue that the deal may lead to nuclear arms race in the Indo-pacific.
What is Boao Forum for Asia?
It is a non-profit organisation that hosts high-level forums for leaders from government, business and academia to share their vision on the most pressing issues. It is modelled on the World Economic Forum (WEF) held annually in Davos, Switzerland. Thus the forum is also known as the “Asian Davos”. The forum takes its name from the town of Boao, located in China’s southern Hainan province.
Category: International / World Current Affairs