Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA)
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) is Government of India’s flagship programme for achievement of Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE) in a time bound manner, as mandated by 86th amendment to the Constitution of India making free and compulsory Education to the Children of 6-14 years age group, a Fundamental Right.
SSA is being implemented in partnership with State Governments to cover the entire country and address the needs of 192 million children in 1.1 million habitations.
- The programme seeks to open new schools in those habitations which do not have schooling facilities and strengthen existing school infrastructure through provision of additional class rooms, toilets, drinking water, maintenance grant and school improvement grants.
- Existing schools with inadequate teacher strength are provided with additional teachers, while the capacity of existing teachers is being strengthened by extensive training, grants for developing teaching-learning materials and strengthening of the academic support structure at a cluster, block and district level.
- SSA seeks to provide quality elementary education including life skills. SSA has a special focus on girl’s education and children with special needs.
- SSA also seeks to provide computer education to bridge the digital divide.
The SSA covers all districts in the country in order to ensure access, retention and quality improvement in elementary education.
Padhe Bharat-Badhe Bharat
Padhe Bharat-Badhe Bharat is a new initiative of NDA Government under Sarva Shiskha Abhiyan. It was launched in 2014 with a twin track approach focussing on language and math as follows:
- Early Reading and Writing with Comprehension (ERWC): To improve language development by creating an enduring interest in reading and writing with comprehension
- Early Mathematics (EM): To create a natural and positive interest in mathematics related to their physical and social world.
Thus, this programme seeks to improve reading, writing and math skills of children.