GK & Current Affairs: December 22, 2016
1. Consider the following statements: a) Virat Kohli has declared the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016. b) Ravichandran Ashwin has been named the ICC?Test cricketer of the Year 2016. Which of the following statements is/are true?
[C]Both a & b
[D]None of the above
Answer: Only b
Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has bagged the prestigious Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy, after he has been named the ‘ICC Cricketer of the Year’ at ICC Awards 2016 in Dubai. Additionally, he also won the ICC?Test cricketer of the Year 2016 award. With this, he became the 2nd Indian player after Rahul Dravid to bag the two coveted prizes in the same year. In 2016, Ashwin picked up 72 wickets in 12 test matches at an outstanding average of 23.90 and scored 612 runs at an average of 43
17. He is the only Indian in ICC’s Test Team of the Year. Apart from this, Virat Kohli has been named captain of the ICC?ODI?Team of the Year, while Ravindra Jadeja and Rohit Sharma also featured in the ODI?Team of the Year.
2. The National Mathematics Day (NMD) is celebrated on which date in India?
Answer: December 22
The National Mathematics Day (NMD) is celebrated every year on December 22 to commemorate the birth anniversary of great mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan and to recognize his contribution to mathematics.
3. Jagannatha Verma, who passed away recently, was the famous actor of which language?
K N Jagannatha Varma (77), the famous Malayalam actor, has recently passed away in Thiruvanathapuram, Kerala. He is known for his hit films like New Delhi, Pathram and Lelam.
4. What is the India’s rank in the 2016 Global Wind Power Installed Capacity Index?
India has been ranked 4th in 2016 Global Wind Power Installed Capacity Index with cumulative installed wind power generation capacity of India is 25,088 MW. The index was released as part of Global Wind Report: Annual Market, the flagship publication of the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). The list is topped by China, followed by United States and Germany with cumulative installed wind power generation capacity of the USA is 1,45,362 MW, 74,471 MW and that of Germany is 44,947 MW.
5. Which of the following has launched world’s first chat operating system?
The world’s first chat operating system “Flock OS” has been launched by Flock, a free instant messaging service for work and business environments. The FlockOS is an ultra-powerful platform which enables developers to build apps, bots and integrations on top of Flock. Developers have also the provision to use customized apps within their organizations or can also publish them on the Flock App Store so that it will be available for all Flock users.
6. Consider the following statements: a) “Epsilon-2” a solid-fuel rocket has successfully launched by Japan. b) The Arase satellite launched into orbit by Epsilon-2 to study the Van Allen belts. Wich among the following statements is/are true?
[C]Both a & b
[D]None of the above
Answer: Both a & b
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has recently successfully launched solid fuel rocket “Epsilon-2” from the Uchinoura Space Center in the southern prefecture of Kagoshima. Through Epsilon-2, the Arase satellite has successfully launched into orbit to study the Van Allen belts around the earth. The former name of Arase satellite was Exploration of energization and Radiation in Geospace (ERG).
7. Who has won the 2016 Kids Golf World Championship?
Answer: Arjun Bhati
Arjun Bhati from India has won the Kids Golf World Championship 2016 by defeating South Africa’s Methu Denish during the three-level final match in Malaysia. The Kids Golf World Championship is a special opportunity for boys and girls between ages 5 to 18 years to play in a world competition organized by US Kids Golf Foundation. The competition is the international version of US Kids Golf tournament and provides good opportunity for young people to compete and earn world amateur ranking points.
8. Who is the newly appointed chief secretary of Tamil Nadu?
[B]Rama Mohana Rao
[C]T S Malviya
[D]L M Vaidya
Answer: Girija Vaidyanathan
Girija Vaidyanathan, an additional chief secretary and commissioner of land administration, has been appointed the new Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu. She succeeded P.Rama Mohana Rao, whose properties were raided by the Income Tax authorities.
9. Who of the following has won the 2016 Sastra Ramanujan award for mathematics?
Answer: Maksym Radziwill
The 2016 SASTRA-Ramanujan award for mathematics has been jointly awarded to Dr. Kaisa Matomaki of the University of Turku, Finland and Dr.Maksym Radziwill of McGill University, Canada at the International Conference on Number Theory at SASTRA University at Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu for their recent revolutionary collaborative work on multiplicative functions in short intervals. The award citation and the shared prize money of $5,000 were presented by Prof. Steven Weintraub from Lehigh University who is also the Associate Secretary of the American Mathematical Society.
10. The book “Parijat” has been authored by whom?
Answer: Nasira Sharma
Hindi author Nasira Sharma has recently won the 2016 Sahitya Academi Award 2016 for his novel “Parijat”. He is among the 24 authors named for the Sahitya Akademi Award 2016. The awards comprising a casket containing an engraved copper plaque, a shawl and a Cheque of Rs. 1 lakh will be presented to the authors on February 22, 2016. .
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »